I can’t remember the last time I had Mikados from the time I wasn’t vegan… but I know for sure that I used to absolutely love them as a child!
Cool thing is, every delicious processed snack can be made into an even more delicious and healthy homemade snack! And with this, you get the benefits of the satisfaction of making it yourself, plus all the fun of making it!
These crunchy Mikados sticks are vegan, healthy, low calorie, and require only 6 basic ingredients to make them.
And with Easter coming soon, homemade Mikado sticks would definitely be the perfect snack for children and the ideal dessert for family meals!
Recipe in video:
Calories per stick: 24 – Macros: 2g P/ 10g C/ 12g F
Prep time*: 1 hour – Yield: 40 sticks
For the sticks:
- 55 g plain flour
- 30 g chickpea flour (or corn flour)
- 15 g brown sugar (or any other sugar)
- 15 ml melted coconut oil**
- 30 ml oat milk (or any other plant milk)
For the chocolate cover:
- 75 g dark chocolate (I use 85% cacao)
- Optional: 3o g hazelnuts (or brazil nuts or almonds)***
- Watch the one minute recipe video (scroll up a bit) to see all instruction steps.
- Preheat the oven to 180.C (356.F)
- In a mixing bowl, add together plain flour, chickpea flour, and brown sugar. Mix with a fork.
- Add melted coconut oil and plant milk, and mix again until mixture is uniform and comes together. Knead the dough with your hands to form a big ball.
- On a clean and dry surface, shape the sticks by rolling small balls of dough with your hands. Each stick should have the consistency of about 1/2 thumb of dough. Roll the sticks as thin as possible.
- Put each stick on a baking tray with baking paper, and bake for 12 minutes.
- Let the sticks cool for at least 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a bowl (I use the bain-marie technique to melt the chocolate, but you can also microwave the bowl for one minute).
- Optional: While chocolate is melting, crush the hazelnuts in very small pieces, either with a knife of using a blender. Place the crushed hazelnuts on a sheet of baking paper and set on side.
- To cover the sticks with chocolate, put some chocolate on a sheet of baking paper and roll stick into melted chocolate (tip: keep the bowl of chocolate on the bain-marie so the chocolate doesn’t get hard!).
- Once stick is covered with chocolate, transfer it to the sheet of baking paper with the crushed hazelnuts (optional), or to a clean sheet of baking paper. Gently roll the stick into the crushed hazelnuts (optional).
- Repeat steps 9 and 10 for every sticks.
- Let sit for at least 5 minutes before eating, and enjoy!
*”Prep time” includes cooking time.
**To melt coconut oil, microwave for 30 seconds and stir with a spoon.
***You can also use coconut flakes to cover the Mikados.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @thedorkyfrench on instagram and hashtag it #thedorkyfrench
10% off all Kuky bowls products, coconut bowls and cutlery by using this link.