Learn to make an easy Butternut Squash Soup with Cabbage with the most basic techniques and ingredients. This guide includes a 10 minutes cook along video if you’d like to make the soup live with me! I cook this soup in an Instant Pot, but you can also make it in a saucepan or pressure cooker. This creamy Butternut Squash Soup is vegan, gluten-free, and can be made oil-free.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH CABBAGE
Butternut Squash Soup is a classic fall/ winter recipe, but today we are adding some cabbage which will give an extra flavourful texture to the soup.
This Butternut Squash Soup recipe is made with the following ingredients:
- coconut oil
- cumin seeds
- herbes de Provence
- apple cider vinegar
- 4 Ingredients Cashew Frosting (sugar-free)*
- black pepper.
PRINT, PIN, OR BOOKMARK THIS RECIPE!
Make sure you bookmark (or pin) this recipe to save it for later; you won’t be disappointed by this Butternut Squash Soup with Cabbage!
And feel free to tag me on Instagram @thedorkyfrench if you try this recipe, or just leave a comment at the end of the page to let me know how it went for you. I would also be happy to answer if you have any questions regarding this recipe.
Looking for more healthy vegan dinner recipes?
- Black Beans Stuffed Aubergine (oil-free | vegan)
- Chickpea Flour Quiche (egg-free | gluten-free options)
- 3 Ingredients Beans Burgers (no blender | oil-free)
- Hummus Caramelized Onion Pizza (no cheese)
- Coconut Red Lentil Dhal (gluten-free | oil-free).
COOK-ALONG RECIPE IN VIDEO (10 MIN)
View this post on Instagram
If you have found this video helpful please consider liking it, leaving a comment or sharing it with your friends. Follow TheDorkyFrench on Youtube for more vegan recipe videos.
Now let’s get to it!
Butternut Squash Soup with Cabbage (in Instant Pot)
- Instant Pot (or saucepan or pressure cooker)
- wooden spoon
- Hand blender
For the soup
- 1 butternut squash - or any medium size squash/ pumpkin
- 1 tbsp coconut oil - or any vegetable oil
- 1 onion - peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - peeled and chopped
- 1/3 thumb ginger - peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp herbes de Provence
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar - or 1/4 lemon juice
- 1/3 cabbage - finely chopped
- fresh coriander - or parsley or basil - chopped
- black pepper
- 4 Ingredients Cashew Frosting*
- Watch the ten-minute recipe video (scroll down a bit) to see all instruction steps.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and peel off the top and outer layers using a large knife.
- Add the coconut oil in your Instant Pot (or saucepan) and heat up the Instant Pot with the “sauté” setting. Once heated up, add the onion, ginger and garlic cloves. Cook until brown for about 3 to 5 minutes. Occasionally stir with a wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile, chop the bottom half of the butternut squash and remove the seeds using a tablespoon.**
- Then, chop the butternut squash in cubes.
- Turn of the heat of the Instant Pot and add your spices (salt, cinnamon, cumin seeds and herbes de Provence), apple cider vinegar, and chopped butternut squash.
- Add water to the Instant Pot, just enough to cover up to the top of the ingredients.***Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Close the lid of your Instant Pot (or saucepan). Switch the release valve to "sealing" and set the Instant Pot on "soup". If you are using a saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes with a lid.
- While the soup is cooking, chop the cabbage very thinly.
- Once the soup is cooked, switch the valve on "venting" to let the pressure evaporate (you might want to step back!). Open the lid and use a hand blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Immediately add the chopped cabbage and mix well with a wooden spoon. Close the lid again and let the cabbage sit in the hot soup for minimum 5 minutes.
- Serve the soup warm, and top with fresh coriander and black pepper.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Please note that all nutrition facts and information found on this website are for informational purposes only. I am not a doctor nor registered nutritionist, so please refer to a professional for medical advice.
Affiliate disclaimer: this page may contain affiliate links, which means TheDorkyFrench receives a small commission at no additional cost to you if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand I only link products I use and recommend or I know could be helpful to you.
You can also use this link to shop on Amazon at no additional cost. All purchases contribute to bringing you more delicious and easy-to-follow recipes.
10% off all Kukybowls products, coconut bowls and cutlery by using this link.