I never thought I would post a recipe of an Indian dish. But when I made my first lentil dhal, I discovered a delicious naturally creamy dish, that I ended up making regularly as encouraged by the positive returns on my recipe. I have improved this recipe every time I have made it, and I am now 100% satisfied of this creamy and tasty coconut lentil dhal.
Why eating lentil dhal?
- Delicious and filling
- Super easy and super tasty
- Extra thick and creamy
- Naturally healthy, vegan, high in nutrients and low in calories
How to eat lentil dhal?
- I personally love to serve it as a curry with basmati rice.
- Have your lentil dhal as a soup or side dish.
- You can also serve it with naan bread/ tortilla.
Calories per serving: 260 – Macros: 17 g P/ 39 g C/ <1 g F
Prep time: 40 minutes – Yield: 6 servings
- 2 red onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red jalapeño/ chilli
- 1 L water
- 1 courgette
- 400 g red lentils
- 3 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp rosemary
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- Peel and chop the onions and garlic clove. Finely chop the jalapeño.
- Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeño to a saucepan with a splash of water. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. (See picture below) Add some water if stick to the pan.
- Meanwhile, chop the courgette.
- Add 1 liter of water to the saucepan. Bring to a boil and add the courgette. Cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes. (See pictures below)
- Add the lentils along with turmeric, cinnamon, and rosemary. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk. (See picture below, left) Cover with lid, and simmer until thick, for at least 15 more minutes. (see picture below, right) Stir occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add fresh parsley on top before serving, and enjoy!
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
-Before serving, you can adjust the liquidity of the dhal to desired texture by adding more warm water.
-I don’t peel my courgettes as I don’t find it necessary and it doesn’t make a difference in the final taste and texture. Make sure you wash your courgette before chopping, especially if not organic.
–Prep time includes cooking time.
Did you make this recipe? Tag @thedorkyfrench on instagram and hashtag it #thedorkyfrench