This No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread is one of the most exciting foods for me to bake regularly. My favourite thing about this bread probably is that you only have to wait 20 minutes for your bread to rise, which is conveniently the average time for your oven to preheat. And as this bread is a no-knead recipe, you don’t even have to get your hands dirty to make it! Ready in just over one hour including prep time and baking time, this recipe requires only 4 basic ingredients and is great for beginners.
PRINT, PIN, OR BOOKMARK THIS RECIPE!
Make sure you bookmark (or pin), it can be a game-changer especially if it’s difficult to find good affordable bread where you live!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @thedorkyfrench if you try this recipe, or just leave a comment at the end of the page to let me know how it went for you. I would also be happy to answer if you have any questions!
This No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread is:
- great for sandwiches and toasts
- quick and easy-to-make.
Looking for more super easy-to-make vegan recipes?
- Vegan Banana Cake with Chocolate Glaze (oil-free)
- Raspberry Chocolate Chia Pudding (sugar-free | 5 ingredients)
- Giant Chocolate Chips Cookies (only 3 ingredients)
WHAT IS NO-KNEAD BREAD?
Kneading means to work with the dough with your hands. No-knead bread, therefore, simply means you will not need your hands for the bread dough to come together. No-knead bread is generally characterised by a rather wet sticky dough, as otherwise, you would need to massage the dough with your hands (or a machine) for a drier bread dough to come together.
RECIPE IN VIDEO (1 MIN)
Follow TheDorkyFrench on youtube for more vegan recipe videos.
IS NO-KNEAD BREAD BETTER?
No-knead bread is better for its ease and efficiency, but I wouldn’t claim it is better or worse in terms of taste. This depends on other factors such as the quality and nature of the ingredients, the baking time, etc.
Concerning the health benefits of No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread, whole wheat flour is much higher in fiber, vitamins, and nutrients (magnesium, zinc…) compared to white flour.
I personally don’t mind at all kneading my bread (massaging bread dough can be fun!), which is why I also have for you an Easy French Baguettes (no machine) recipe. It has been very popular among people looking for a very easy baguettes recipe. This recipe requires kneading but is great for beginners!
HOW TO MAKE NO KNEAD WHOLE WHEAT BREAD?
Please note this is just an overview of the recipe. Scroll down to the end of the page to see the full printable recipe.
The first step will be to mix the 3 following ingredients in a mixing bowl:
- Whole wheat flour
- Salt (I use pink Himalayan salt)
- Active dry yeast.
Then, we add warm water and use the back of a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients, until the dough comes together in a ball and comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
Finally, we transfer the dough in a loaf pan, cover with a tea towel, let rise for 20 minutes, and bake for 40 minutes!
CAN NO-KNEAD WHOLE WHEAT BREAD DOUGH BE FROZEN?
I would not recommend freezing your bread dough, especially not for this recipe as you can easily make it fresh in less than 10 minutes of preparation time.
So even if you are in a hurry on a busy day, you could still make yourself and your family a freshly baked loaf of No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread!
HOW TO STORE NO-KNEAD WHOLE WHEAT BREAD?
As for any kind of bread, I find it best to simply wrap your bread with a clean tea towel. Store it at room temperature for up to 4 days (but keep in mind it will be much better fresh!).
CAN WHOLE WHEAT BREAD CAUSE BLOATING?
A common assumption is that whole wheat bread tends to cause bloating, gas problems, or indigestion. This is because of the high volume of fiber in whole grains, which can be an indigestible carbohydrate for some people, especially if you suddenly increase the amount of fiber you consume.
Whole Wheat Flour also tends to be denser than other kinds of bread, but you can simply slice your bread thinner if you are afraid it would be too dense for you! Otherwise, you could always try my Easy French Baguettes (no machine) recipe!
And of course, if you are gluten intolerant or sensitive, whole wheat flour (and any kind of traditional flours) is something you want to avoid.
Looking for gluten-free vegan recipes?
- 4 Ingredients Yoghurt Blueberry Cake (gluten-free)
- Chickpea Omelette (no onion | no added oil)
- Black Beans Stuffed Aubergine (oil-free | vegan)
- Two-Bean Vegan Chili (gluten-free | in Instant Pot)
PRO TIP: The quality of the flour you use matters a lot, so try to get a good quality organic whole wheat flour if that’s possible for you!
I sincerely hope you will enjoy this recipe,
No-knead Whole Wheat Bread (only 4 ingredients)
- Rectangle loaf pan
- wooden spoon
- Mixing bowl
- 500 g whole wheat flour
- 10 g active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt - I use pink Himalayan salt
- 450 ml warm water - NOT HOT - just above room temperature
- Watch the one-minute recipe video (scroll down a bit) to see all instruction steps.
- Mix the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, salt and active dry yeast) in a mixing bowl with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the warm water and use the back of the wooden spoon to mix the ingredients, until the dough comes together in a ball and comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. If the dough seems too dry and doesn't come together, add a little bit more warm water. If it seems too wet, add a bit more flour.
- Slightly grease or put baking paper on a rectangle baking tin.
- Then, transfer the dough in a the loaf pan and wrap it with a clean tea towel. Let rise for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 200.C (392.F)
- Unwrap the loaf pan, and bake for 40 minutes until brown on the top.
- Let cool for minimum 15 minutes before cutting, and enjoy!!
Please note that all nutrition facts and information found on this website are for informational purposes only. I am not a doctor nor registered nutritionist, so please refer to a professional for medical advice.
Affiliate disclaimer: this page may contain affiliate links, which means TheDorkyFrench receives a small commission at no additional cost to you if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand I only link products I use and recommend or I know could be helpful to you.
You can also use this link to shop on Amazon at no additional cost. All purchases contribute to bringing you more delicious and easy-to-follow recipes.
10% off all Kukybowls products, coconut bowls and cutlery by using this link.