Make these Squash finger Nuggets for a perfect autumnal snack that can be dipped into your favourite sauce or served on side of your favourite dish. These Squash Finger Nuggets are vegan, gluten-free, easy-to-make, nut-free and require only 7 ingredients!
I would love to know how this recipe went for you so please leave a comment at the end of the page if you try it.
WHEN IS SQUASH IN SEASON?
Although it is available all year-round, Squash is at its best from fall to the end of winter. Any variety of squash can be used for this recipe (butternut squash, spaghetti squash, buttercup squash, pumpkin…). When off-season, you can still make this recipe by using sweet potato instead of squash!
PRINT, PIN, OR BOOKMARK THIS RECIPE!
Make sure you bookmark (or pin) this recipe, so you can find it and make the best out of this squash you have at the back of your fridge!
You can also tag me on Instagram @thedorkyfrench for a chance to be featured!
GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN FINGER NUGGETS
These Squash Finger Nuggets are not only deliciously crispy and tasty, but they are also naturally free from gluten and free from any animal product! Make sure you use tamari instead or soy sauce if you are gluten intolerant.
SQUASH FINGER NUGGETS INGREDIENTS
To make these delicious Nuggets, all you need is:
–soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free substitute)
Read the ‘substitutions’ section at the end of the recipe description for more details on the ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE SQUASH FINGER NUGGETS?
You only need 5 easy steps and 45 minutes of your time to go through this recipe and enjoy one of the best meals you have ever had.
- Cook the squash and potato in boiling water.
- Cook onions and cumin seeds in olive oil.
- Add the cooked squash and potato, mash with a masher and add spices.
- Let cool completely and shape the Squash Finger Nuggets with your hands.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
HOW TO SERVE SQUASH FINGER NUGGETS?
I love to serve these Squash Nuggets with a mix of Sriracha sauce and ketchup, and with a side of melted vegan cheese.
I also LOVE to have these Nuggets on side of rice and curry, such as this Easy Chickpea curry (in only 30 minutes!).
EASY SQUASH FINGER NUGGETS RECIPE
These Nuggets are so fun and easy-to-make since you just have to cook and mash the ingredients, and then roll them like sausages using your hands. By the way, your hands will get sticky when rolling the Nuggets into Fingers, but that’s what makes cooking so fun!
SQUASH FINGER NUGGETS CALORIES
167 calories for 5 Nuggets, which means only 33 calories for one Squash Nugget, yet lots of nutrients! (See nutrition facts at the end of the page for more information.)
You can also choose to make these Squash Finger Nuggets even lower in calories by reducing the amount of oil used in this recipe. However, keep in mind it will slightly affect the final result.
For an oil-free low-calorie savoury recipe, check out this Coconut Red Lentil Dhal (gluten-free | oil-free).
You can substitute squash with any variety of squash (such as pumpkin or butternut squash) or with sweet potato. If you don’t like or have any of the above, you can simply substitute squash with normal potatoes!
You can use any type of vegetable oil for this recipe.
To make this recipe without onions, I recommend substituting with 2 cloves of garlic.
You can also substitute the 2 tablespoons of soy sauce with 1 tablespoon of salt.
RECIPE IN VIDEO (1 MIN)
Follow me on youtube for more 1-minute recipe videos.
Squash Finger Nuggets (gluten-free | vegan)
- Masher (or fork)
- Large cooking pan
- wooden spoon
- Baking tray
- Watch the one minute recipe video to see all instruction steps.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and add the potato and squash. Simmer with closed lid for about 10 minutes, until potato and squash are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat up a large cooking pan with olive oil.
- Add onion and cumin seeds and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are brown, then remove pan from the heat*.
- Once squash and potato are cooked, rinse them with cold water and drain them.
- Preheat the oven to 200.C (392.F)
- Add potato and squash to the cooking pan with the cooked onions.
- Mash everything with a masher**
- Put baking sheet on a baking tray (optional).
- Let cooking pan cool completely and use your hands to shape the finger nuggets into approximatively 15 sausages. Put shaped nuggets on the baking tray.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes, and enjoy with your favourite dipping***!
Please note that all nutrition facts and information found on this website are for informational purposes only. I am not a doctor nor registered nutritionist, so please refer to a professional for medical advice.
Affiliate disclaimer: this page may contain affiliate links, which means TheDorkyFrench receives a small commission at no additional cost to you if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand I only link products I use and recommend or I know could be helpful to you.
You can also use this link to shop on Amazon at no additional cost. All purchases contribute to bringing you more delicious and easy-to-follow recipes.
10% off all Kukybowls products, coconut bowls and cutlery by using this link.