This Mikado Sticks recipe makes a perfect quick and easy vegan snack both adults and children can enjoy. It is a healthy and nutritious snack that is also dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free.
I used to absolutely love Mikado as a child! However, Mikados are a very processed snack, far from being nutritious or healthy.
Good news is, every delicious processed snack can be made into an even more delicious and healthy homemade vegan snack! And with this, you get the benefits of satisfaction plus all the fun of making it yourself!
THE PERFECT VEGAN SNACK
These crunchy Mikados sticks are vegan, healthy, low calorie, and require only 6 basic ingredients to make them.
And with festivities coming soon, homemade Mikado sticks would definitely be the perfect vegan snack for children and the ideal dessert for family meals!
BUT WHAT ARE MIKADOS?
Mikado, also known as Pocky, originally comes from Japan. It is a brand of thin and crunchy sticks coated with chocolate.
You can buy commercial Mikados in most European countries. I would, however, love to introduce you to an easier and healthier way of enjoying these exquisite Mikado sticks.
ARE MIKADOS A VEGAN SNACK?
Mikados are traditionally made with cow milk and are therefore vegetarian but not vegan. For more information about cow milk, I highly recommend you watch this youtube video explaining in 5 minutes why you should avoid consuming cow milk.
If you don’t have time to watch the video, you still may want to know that a glass of milk generally contains millions of cells, bovine growth hormones (some of them linked to cancer), a lot of cholesterol, antibiotics, and most likely feces.
ARE MIKADOS GLUTEN-FREE?
Store-bought Mikados contain wheat flour and are therefore not gluten-free.
To make these healthy Vegan Mikado Sticks gluten-free, you can substitute the plain white flour with gluten-free oat flour.
If you are not gluten intolerant, I would recommend you to use the original recipe; Mikados are easier to make using plain flour.
SHOULD YOU EAT COMMERCIAL OR HOMEMADE MIKADOS?
Good question, so let’s dive in!
First of all, there are only 17 sticks in a store-bought Mikado box. And well, for someone who loves snacking and eating chocolate, 17 sticks definitely is not enough.
With this recipe, you can make up to 45 Mikado sticks, which means you can have as many as you desire AND share them with your family and friends.
And let’s be honest, it is so much more enjoyable when it is homemade, right?
Another benefit of making your own Mikados is that you can adapt the recipe to your own tastes and preferences!
SO, HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE MIKADOS FOR A VEGAN SNACK?
Making this vegan snack actually is a pretty simple and fun process. All you will need is 5 basic ingredients to make the sticks, some chocolate to cover them, and just one hour of your time. Yes, it is that simple.
The only required kitchen tools will be some baking paper, a fork, and a mixing bowl.
The 5 basic ingredients you will need to make the sticks are:
–Chickpea flour (or corn flour)
I use brown sugar to make these Vegan Mikado Sticks, but you can substitute brown sugar with white sugar and get the exact same amazing result.
ARE MIKADOS HIGH IN CALORIES?
This vegan snack recipe is already relatively low in calories, containing only 26 calories per Mikado stick (see nutrition facts at the end of the page).
But if you really want to reduce the number of calories of your Mikado sticks, you can use 50% of stevia sugar (zero calorie sweetener) and 50% of brown sugar, instead of 100% of brown sugar. I would not recommend substituting the totality of brown sugar by stevia for this recipe if you want optimal results.
PRINT, PIN, OR BOOKMARK THIS RECIPE!
Make sure you bookmark (or pin) this recipe, so next time you don’t know what to do with all this chocolate you have at home, you can turn it into this nutritious and easy vegan snack.
You can also tag me on instagram @thedorkyfrench for a chance to be featured!
If you have read this far, I am thrilled to let you know it is finally time for you to start baking and make these delicious Vegan Mikado Sticks yourself!
RECIPE IN VIDEO (1MIN):
Follow me on youtube for more 1 minute recipe videos.
VEGAN MIKADO STICKS (Healthy & Easy)
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
For the sticks
- 55 g plain flour
- 30 g chickpea flour or corn flour
- 15 g brown sugar or any other sugar
- 15 ml melted coconut oil*
- 30 ml oat milk or any other plant milk
For the chocolate cover
- 75 g dark chocolate I use 82% cacao chocolate
- 30 g hazelnuts** or Brazil nuts or almonds
- Watch the one minute recipe video (scroll up a bit) to see all instruction steps.
- Preheat the oven to 180.C (356.F)
- Add melted coconut oil and plant milk, and mix again until mixture is uniform and comes together. Knead the dough with your hands to form a big ball.
- On a clean and dry surface, shape the sticks by rolling small balls of dough with your hands. Each stick should have the consistency of about 1/2 thumb of dough. Roll the sticks as thin as possible.
- Let the sticks cool for at least 5 minutes. Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a bowl (I use the bain-marie technique to melt the chocolate, but you can also microwave the bowl for one minute).
- Optional: While chocolate is melting, crush the hazelnuts in very small pieces, either with a knife of using a blender. Place the crushed hazelnuts on a sheet of baking paper and set on side.
- To cover the sticks with chocolate, put some chocolate on a sheet of baking paper and roll stick into melted chocolate (tip: keep the bowl of chocolate on the bain-marie so the chocolate doesn't get hard!).
- Repeat steps 9 and 10 for every sticks.
- Let sit for at least 5 minutes before eating, and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @thedorkyfrench on instagram to be featured!
Affiliate disclaimer: this post may contain affiliate links, which means TheDorkyFrench receives a small commission at no additional cost to you if you decide to make a purchase. Please understand I only link products I use and recommend or I know could be helpful to you.
You can also use this link to shop on Amazon at no additional cost. All purchases contribute to bringing you more delicious and easy-to-follow recipes.
10% off all Kukybowls products, coconut bowls and cutlery by using this link.
Thank you for supporting TheDorkyFrench!