Easy Chickpea Curry
This Easy Chickpea Curry can be made in less than 30 minutes, and is dairy-free, sugar-free, gluten-free and egg-free. This healthy meal is also very high in protein and can be adapted to your preferences!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 300 g red lentils* raw weight, soaked and rinsed
- 800 ml water
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder optional
- 1 tsp chana masala**
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 800 g soft cooked chickpeas***
- 2 onions peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 bay leave
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 350 g crushed tomatoes or tomato paste
- 1 handful fresh coriander chopped
- 1/2 lime or lemon
*Rinse and soak the red lentils in water overnight or for at least 2 hours for optimal results. Drain before cooking.
**Chana masala is optional but highly recommended for this recipe. Here is the link to the one I use.
***You want your chickpeas to be extra soft for this recipe. I personally steam them twice in a rice cooker. You can also use a pressure cooker, boil them, or buy your chickpeas in cans if it is more convenient for you. Canned chickpeas are a good and easy alternative as they are usually really soft.